Ten interesting facts about artist Neil Jenney
Neil Jenney, Trash and Trashcan 1970
Acrylic on #canvas, in artist’s frame, 58,5 × 55,5 inches (148.6 × 141.3 cm),
Museum of Modern Art, New York #moma #themuseumofmodernart
1. Neil Jenney is a self-taught artist (#outsiderart #primitive #modernart )
2. But he attended 2 years Massachusetts College of #Art .
3. Painter created paintings and minimalist #sculpture, showing an advanced understanding of #contemporaryart . But when it was ready, his #artwork was rejected by all Boston #gallerie s.
4. He worked as a taxi driver.
5. He created several series of sculptural compositions. He was looking for materials in dumpsters every day, as he couldn't afford other materials.
6. He draws in technic of fast #drawing with #acrylic colors long times, but next, he starts to #paint with #oilpainting too.
7. He paints in a manner described by Marcia Tucker as "Bad Painting."
8. He frames his paintings with deliberately voluminous frames.
9. The title of his artworks was written in large letters directly on the frame in many cases.
10. He likes to paint on wood panels. But such artworks are rather heavy, too difficult to move without assistance. He had an assistant who helped to solve this situation.